[tz] DST in the news

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Sat Aug 29 01:25:37 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-29 07:21:58 (+0800), Paul Gilmartin via tz wrote:
> On 2020-08-28, at 16:23:38, Arthur David Olson wrote:
>> "American Academy of Sleep Medicine calls for elimination of daylight
>> saving time"
>>
>> https://aasm.org/american-academy-of-sleep-medicine-calls-for-elimination-of-daylight-saving-time/
>>
> In arguing for an advantage of Standard over Daylight time
> the authors naively ignore that clock time is just a
> coordinate with arbitrary origin.  In Matthew 20:1-16 KJV:
>    https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+20:1-16&version=KJV
> it appears that at the time of writing time was reckoned six
> hours behind the current convention: the first hour was around
> sunrise, people began work then; the eleventh hour around
> sunset, people ended work then.

This system is still widely in use in Ethiopia (and reportedly in other
parts of east Africa though I have no direct experience).  If you have a
meeting at "three o'clock" you should turn up at 10:00.  The meeting
will probably start at 10:30 ... possibly because you have to call at
least one other person who thought the meeting was at 15:00. ;-)

I believe there's a link to an article about this phenomenon in
tz-links.html.

> The harmful effects arise from the twice-yearly adjustment,
> not the absolute setting.

On a slightly related note, I wonder how those of us who were accustomed
to regular large adjustments (e.g. 15 hours after crossing the Pacific
Ocean) will cope when we resume our itinerant lifestyles when the
current plague gets more under control?  Will our bodies remember
conquering jetlag, or will the first couple of trips be accompanied by
sleepless nights and zombie days?

Philip

--
Philip Paeps