[tz] Corrupt output (was: Re: [tz-announce] 2020e release of tz code and data available

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Dec 23 19:23:13 UTC 2020

On 12/22/20 11:06 PM, Deborah Goldsmith via tz wrote:
> I verified that introducing a rule to set zone to empty when encountering “End of rearguard section" fixes the problem, and does not introduce any other changes to the output.

Thanks for the problem report and diagnosis. I installed into the
development repository the attached proposed patch, which is a bit fancier,
as setting the zone to empty would mean we couldn't have multiple sections
per Zone. The attached patch also adds some code to "make check_public"
(which I run before distributing any release) so that similar problems will
be caught before future releases.

The new "make check_public" rule won't catch all rearguard issues, just
simple ones like the one you ran into. I don't test the rearguard as much as
the main data, and even if I did more tests I undoubtedly would miss things
that you'd catch with your tests within Apple. Is there some way you could
create a buildbot at Apple that tracks the development repository and
periodically runs Apple's tests on it? The problem you ran into was due to a
commit dated December 10, and if Apple ran their checks every now and then
we would have caught this problem before 2020e came out.

At any rate it looks like we'll need a 2020f soon, assuming the attached
patch works for you.