[tz] Request RE: academic research question re: TZ database

Fri Jan 10 15:50:33 UTC 2020

On 2020-01-10 07:15, Andrew Lyon wrote:
> I agree that when the birth-hour is unknown that it could be assigned to a time
> other than midnight to 00:59:59 or    02:00 to 03:00  to avoid most DST
> transition problems.
> We looked into the possibility of changing that default time ourselves, but it
> appears to be in protected code by the software manufacturer.  We are working
> with the manufacturer to avoid the problem in a future version of the software.
>  We have not heard if the manufacturer will alter the default birth hour to noon
> or another time.

Most systems I worked on had such values as parameters in a database table for
system parameters and/or business rules indexed by a key value such as
TIME_OF_DAY_BIRTH_TIME_DEFAULT.
Suggest this as a more flexible solution to your vendor.

> The article you linked on birth hours is very interesting.  Most of our problem
> patients had birth dates between 1930 and 1941 and were likely born without
> modern interventions that are mostly scheduled during daytime hours.

As the article stated, non-induced vaginal births occurred with a flat
distribution around the clock.