[tz] Leap year bugs

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Thu Jan 23 17:04:29 UTC 2020

Brian Inglis said:
> [OT: Note the date issued on the Julian Calendar: as it was not an O.S. leap
> year this was not the leap day; the year changed on Lady Day March 25 (O.S.);

In England but not in Scotland, which had moved to the 1st January rule well
before.

It's my understanding that the insertion of 29th February was done on the
basis of the Scottish system, not the English one, so there was a 29th
February in 1743 and in 1747.

> still observed as HM gov fiscal and taxation year end April 5 (N.S.) as they
> were not giving up 11 days of taxes in 1751/2!]

Just 1752; that was the first year that England changed rule. So 1751 was
only 278 days long in England (and had no January or February at all);
February 29th 1752 existed throughout the Union.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.