[tz] Shanks about Ontario

Alois Treindl alois at astro.ch
Fri Jan 24 13:24:33 UTC 2020

I believe the Shanks data for Ontario are rather messy and not fully
reliable.

He lists a lot of places all over Ontario (about 250) which according to
him follow the same time zone history as tz zone America/Nipigon

I think considerable local research is needed to sort out pre-1970
Ontario time zone history.

Shanks describes 116 different rule sets for Ontario. I attach screen
shots from klm files on Google Earth showing how the towns listed for
Ontario by Shanks are locally distributed.

Label (5) represents the Shanks rule set which corresponds to TZ rule
set America/Nipigon, while according to TZ the zone
America/Nipigon is a tiny area.