[tz] Leap year bugs

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Fri Jan 24 08:47:53 UTC 2020

Brian Inglis said:
> It's apparently a lot worse than we think.
> Many systems do not accept February 29 at all.
> People born on that date have continuing problems, including scepticism that
> anyone is born on that date:
>
> https://globalnews.ca/news/2539442/the-hassles-of-being-a-leap-year-baby/

This isn't a new problem: it was, after all, a major plot point of "The
Pirates of Penzance".

I once had the opposite problem. I was lying in a hospital bed waiting for
(elective day) surgery and the surgeon came round with the consent form to
sign.

Me: "It isn't a leap year."
Him: "What?"
Me: "It isn't a leap year. You've dated this 29th February and it's 1st March."
Him: <looks> "Oh good grief. You're my fourth patient today and I hadn't
noticed."

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.