[tz] A warning on the tzdb 2020a

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Jul 9 20:07:08 UTC 2020

On 7/8/20 2:22 PM, Matias Fonzo wrote:
> ./zic  -d '/usr/src/qi/build/package-tzdb/etc/zoneinfo-leaps' -L leapseconds
> tzdata.zi
> warning: "leapseconds", line 79: "#expires" is obsolescent; use "Expires"

Yes, that's a known warning.

You can silence the warning by removing the leapseconds file and then building
with 'make EXPIRES_LINE=1'. See the Makefile for details. At some point in the
not-too-distant future I plan to fix this by defaulting EXPIRES_LINE=1 in the
Makefile; this will change the "#Expires" line to an "Expires" line in the
distributed leapseconds file.

In reviewing the EXPIRES_LINE=1 code I noticed that it put a wrong comment in
its output, which I fixed by installing the attached. I also updated the expires
line as noted in <https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2020-July/029165.html>.