[tz] [IANA #1173666] Time zone change - Yukon Canada

Matt Johnson-Pint mj1856 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 24 01:38:41 UTC 2020

Hi Andrew,

British Columbia (not Yukon) has the zone name: America/Vancouver

You might find it easier to browse the unofficial copy of the tzdb that Paul keeps on GitHub at https://github.com/eggert/tz

The relevant parts are here (Zone America/Vancouver):
https://github.com/eggert/tz/blob/2020a/northamerica#L2136

and here (Rule Canada):
https://github.com/eggert/tz/blob/2020a/northamerica#L1384-L1385

As you can see, no change has yet been made for British Columbia.

You might also appreciate this article, which is useful to understand how to interpret the source files:  https://data.iana.org/time-zones/tz-how-to.html

Aside - Thanks for keep in touch, especially regarding Yukon (which I assume the upcoming change is still going forward).    Earlier, Tim had eluded to Microsoft picking up the change from here - which is indeed the case.  I work at Microsoft and regularly monitor discussion and changes here and forward to the responsible parties internally.  Occasionally it goes the other direction too, but lately this list is better informed than we are! 🙂

Cheers!
-Matt