[tz] Formal models and the need for storing original source data

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Sun Jun 21 02:28:21 UTC 2020

On Sat 2020-06-20T17:05:34-0700 Michael Kenniston hath writ:
> Imagine yourself back in 1966.  UTC has been chugging along
> nicely for five years, providing a well-behaved predictable time
> standard.  We know it's never going to change.

This is a polyanna view of history which bursts upon looking
at issues of Bulletin Horaire and seeing what was actually
being broadcast by various transmitters.  There was not
uniformity in broadcasting what the BIH had designated "UTC"
until 1972.

--
Steve Allen                    <sla at ucolick.org>              WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB 260  Natural Sciences II, Room 165  Lat  +36.99855