[tz] Use or Apply for SPDX Licence

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Mon Jun 22 03:46:00 UTC 2020

    Date:        Sun, 21 Jun 2020 13:49:13 -0600
    From:        Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis at SystematicSw.ab.ca>

  | The suggestion was to adopt a PD licence

The problem is, that while anyone can offer a licence for
anything (possibly subject to fraud issues), doing so on
something that you do not own is pointless, and ineffectual
(at best).

It has already been established I think (at least in the US) that the
data part of tz* consists of facts, not subject to copyright, the
form in which it is presented might be, but who exactly owns that?
For the code, you'd have to (somehow) discover who created each
specific piece, the compilation might be potentially subject to a
separate copyright (in some jurisdictions) but anyone worried
about that part would simply take the pieces, and put them back
together themselves.

So, Brian, if you believe that there should be a licence with the
tz* code 7 data, why don't you offer one?   You're as good a a
source as just about anyone else I can think of.

kre