[tz] Yukon to move to year-round PDT

Chris Walton Chris.Walton at telus.com
Thu Mar 5 21:28:20 UTC 2020

I agree with Michael D.

There are four existing zones that are already on permanent UTC-7:
	America/Dawson_Creek
	America/Creston
	America/Fort_Nelson
	America/Phoenix
None of these zones makes use the DST bit.  The time zone is displayed year round as MST instead of PDT.  I don't think anybody complains about it.

I don't see any compelling reason to treat the two Yukon zones (America/Whitehorse & America/Dawson) any differently than the four existing UTC-7 zones.
Consistency within the database is more important than trying to match the wording in each government press release and/or bill.
Therefore, America/Whitehorse & America/Dawson should be placed on UTC-7 with no DST bit and they should be given a time zone designation of MST.

Keep in mind that in the future, it may be necessary to apply the same rules to America/Vancouver and America/Los_Angeles.

Note:
The Yukon press release uses the term "Pacific Daylight Saving Time" to refer to UTC-7.
https://yukon.ca/en/news/yukon-end-seasonal-time-change

Note:
The British Columbia (BC) government is waiting to see what California does before it drops the bi-annual time change.
In the meantime, the government has already passed an amendment for its Interpretation Act;  the amendment defines "Pacific Time" as UTC-7.  This makes me cringe.
https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2019PREM0118-002084
https://www.leg.bc.ca/parliamentary-business/legislation-debates-proceedings/41st-parliament/4th-session/bills/third-reading/gov40-3

-chris