[tz] Maryland permanent DST?

Arthur David Olson arthurdavidolson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 00:12:27 UTC 2020

The Maryland permanent DST bill* includes this text:
If the Department of Legislative Services receives notice of the change to
15 U.S.C. § 260a on or before December 31, 2025, Section 1 of this Act
shall take effect on the second Sunday of March or the first Sunday in
November after the change to 15 U.S.C. § 260a becomes effective, whichever
occurs first.
Which means that the switch could occur with one day's notice.

I'd like to avoid the embarrassment of My Fair State causing time zone
problems; I'd like to send something to my state senator.

1. What's the best available statement on desirable lead times?
2. In the case at hand, is changing to "on the second Sunday of March in
the year after the change" sufficient?
3. My guess is that IANA would not want to weigh in on time zone changes,
but would IANA want to weigh in on lead time requirements? (Would the
benefits to IANA's community outweigh the costs of weighing in?)

Thanks for any light folks can shed.

    @dashdashado
_
*http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2020RS/bills/sb/sb0517F.pdf