[tz] Yukon to move to year-round PDT

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Mar 6 01:45:22 UTC 2020

On 3/5/20 5:31 PM, Paul Goyette wrote:
> Doesn't such a position, however, fly in the face of the "boots on the
> ground" approach we've taken in other situations?

Yes it does. But then, we consistently flew in the face of that approach
in the past when this situation arose, so at least we'd be
*consistently* inconsistent. (There is a technical obstacle to having a
time zone observe DST indefinitely, as this can't be implemented via
POSIX TZ strings on many platforms.)

Another possibility would be to put "-07" into the database for now,
until we find out what abbreviation (if any) people actually use once
the timestamps diverge in November. If people end up using "PDT" next
winter in Yukon we can put that into the database, even though it will
be odd that it's "PDT" even though the is_dst flag will be 0 due to the
abovementioned technical obstacle.

I've been fearing this technical snafu for many months as the "permanent
DST" movement has gained steam in North America.