[tz] Yukon to move to year-round PDT

Fri Mar 6 22:06:49 UTC 2020

On 2020-03-05 16:10, Chris Walton wrote:

>>> Historic timestamps?
>> Historic timestamps and their time zone abbreviations do not change.  Nobody is suggesting that they should be changed.
>> e.g. America/Dawson already supports all the historical time zone abbreviations that have been used in Yukon Territory since 1900:
>>      PDT, PST, YDDT, YDT, YPT, YST , & YWT.
>> The proposed change would force all dates that occur after March 14/2021 to have an MST time zone abbreviation.
>> All dates that occur before March 14/2021 would continue to be displayed with the correct historical time zone abbreviations.
> Correction: the change takes place this upcoming weekend (March 8/2020).  It is not March 14/2021 as I indicated in my previous e-mail.

The change takes place in November; this weekend proceeds as normal.

This weekend, Canadian time zones change to [PMCEAN]DT/HA[PRCEAT](fr-CA), except
possibly areas near the AB/BC border, in SK except AB/SK border, and QC E of
63W, which may or may not use abbreviations MST/-7, CST/-6, AST/HNA/-4 locally,
rather than PDT/-7, MDT/-6, and EDT/HAE/-4 as used in the adjacent areas, which
appears to be the official preference of the NRC standards body, and thus the
Canadian government:

https://nrc.canada.ca/en/certifications-evaluations-standards/canadas-official-time

https://nrc.canada.ca/en/certifications-evaluations-standards/canadas-official-time/time-zones-daylight-saving-time

which appears to consider that all of Canada changes to DST time zones, but some
areas keep the same UTC offset.