[tz] zdump with version 1 files

Sat Mar 21 21:08:24 UTC 2020

On 2020-03-21 14:17, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 3/20/20 5:48 AM, Paul Ganssle wrote:
>> I have been attempting to generate some version 1
>> files for test purposes (in the sadly likely event that some people only
>> have version 1 TZif files deployed).
>
> Do you have reason to believe that people still use version-1 TZif files? As far
> as I can recall, only Android limits itself to 32-bit timestamps (expiring in
> 2039) among current operating systems, even the 32-bit OSes. However, Android no
> longer uses separate TZif files and instead bundles up tzdata as part of a
> single larger file somehow.
>
> I don't know where this stuff is written down; it's merely part of my vague
> recollection and could be incorrect.

This appears to be the process doc:

	https://source.android.com/devices/tech/config/timezone-rules

and this appears to be the main code:

https://android.googlesource.com/platform/system/timezone/+/refs/heads/master/update-tzdata.py

which appears to build and use the distributed zic code to build the rearguard
data, including backward, and package it into an Android zip archive format
including xml info for ICU to use to locate the tzdata.