[tz] Database available in other formats

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri May 1 18:51:49 UTC 2020

On 5/1/20 8:49 AM, Sergio Bonfiglio wrote:

> https://timezonedb.com/

tz-link.html mentions TimeZoneDB under "Time zone boundaries" but it'd be good
to also mention their CSV and SQL downloads. I installed the attached proposed
patch to try to do that.

> in Italy there are 3 zones, not only ROME but also Palermo (Sicily island
> complete) and Cagliari (Sardinia island complete), which differ from each
> other, also if slightly in time.
> How can I add these two zones to the data ?

Because these zones are identical to Europe/Rome for timestamps after 1970,
they're out of scope for tzdb proper
<https://data.iana.org/time-zones/theory.html#scope>. However, we do have a file
'backzone' for out-of-scope data (this file is not normally used in tzdb
installations). So you can send in a patch for that file if you like, preferably
in 'git format-patch' form. See Europe/Belfast for an example of what might
appear in 'backzone'.