[tz] zdump --version reports "unknown" on OpenSuse 15.1 [2020a]

mcalabkova mcalabkova at suse.cz
Mon May 25 09:22:05 UTC 2020

On 2020-05-24 19:19, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 5/24/20 4:38 AM, listclient at hayo.de wrote:
>> sudo zdump --version
>> zdump (tzcode) unknown
>>
>> Installed package:
>> timezone - Time Zone Descriptions
>>
>> Is this a defect of the OpenSuse package or of the IANA code
>> distribution?
>
> If you aren't sure, then the answer is "OpenSuse". :-)

indeed :) I found out we were re-making a 'version' file (because of
patches)

> I suggest filing a bug report with the OpenSuse folks. For what it's
> worth, on
> Ubuntu 18.04.4 'zdump --version' outputs "zdump (Ubuntu GLIBC
> 2.27-3ubuntu1)
> 2.27" and on Fedora 31 it outputs "zdump (GNU libc) 2.30".

after fixing the issue above on my computer I get:

$ sudo zdump --version
zdump (tzcode) 2020a

This is different from other distros. Is there any other bug in
openSUSE? It
looks like the other distros take version info from the last used
compiler...
Is this correct?

Greetings,
Marketa