[tz] Morocco time change not working on many Android phones

Neil Fuller nfuller at google.com
Wed May 27 12:03:40 UTC 2020

To expand on what enh@ said and provide some more context:

One of my responsibilities on Android is the time zone data source-code
updates. I can confirm it's complicated! The short answer is that the
Morocco change didn't give maintainers a lot of time to react. The number
of devices, manufacturers and users involved for Android alone is quite
humbling! Literally billions of devices, millions of users, spread over
thousands of different types of device.

I am a software engineer, so I can provide some technical information
around Android tzdb updates for future reference (see text below my name).

Paul is correct: it is my understanding that the Essential PH-1 device is
using the Google-managed APEX update mechanism.

I hope the information below helps explain what the situation is. As more
devices move to the APEX update mechanism we should continue to see
improvements here. That said, I think four working weeks from tzdb release
to device is always going to be difficult with so many parties and devices
involved.

Neil.

--
Google UK Limited

Registered Office: 6 Pancras Square, London, N1C 4AG
Registered in England Number: 3977902

-------------

The Android OS has two main copies of time zone data: one that is used by
Android's libc (bionic) and its java.util.TimeZone class, and a copy
associated with Android's embedded of International Components for Unicode
libraries (ICU4C and ICU4J). ICU has additional information like
translations for zone names and other time zone metadata that need to be
updated. Both copies are updated when I produce source code updates, though
manufacturers can create their own source code updates if they wish.

We alert partners to source updates for recent releases (currently from
8.0/Oreo up to Android 10) and we make them available to all via the AOSP
project. For example,
https://android-review.googlesource.com/q/topic:%22tzdb2020a_pie-dev%22+(status:open%20OR%20status:merged)
is the Android 9 backport of the tzdb 2020a update.

For many devices (i.e. those before Android 10, the Q3 2019 release) the
device update process is entirely handled by the manufacturer, either via a
full "over the air" (OTA) system image update, via the APK mechanism linked
by Paul, or a proprietary mechanism. All these mechanisms the manufacturer
is responsible for.

For Android 10 devices that support APEX updates, Google now manages the
update via Google Play System Update (internal name Project Mainline
<https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2019/05/fresher-os-with-projects-treble-and-mainline.html>).
For devices that don't, the information for earlier releases is currently
still true. I know the Android Mainline folks handling building / signing /
QA and partner coordination for the Google-managed APEX update have been
working hard to get an APEX update out in time for the Morocco offset
change. For any update there still needs to be a lot of coordination
between Google and the manufacturer partners. Google rolls out updates like
this very carefully. My understanding is that the update was available to
100% of Mainline updatable devices by Friday 22nd May. Yesterday morning
(26th May) I checked my personal Android 10 device (which I know does have
Google-managed APEX updates), and found that it had updated to 2020a, but
it did take a manual reboot by me before that was the case.