[tz] KyivNotKiev

Lester Caine lester at lsces.uk
Fri Nov 27 13:12:39 UTC 2020

On 27/11/2020 11:39, Andriy Ivanchenko wrote:
> I understand correctly that you do not plan to change Kiev to Kyiv?
> Do I still have to wait a while for the final decision?
> I don't understand how your system works.
> Can you write about it in more detail?

One important thing to note here is that none of the historic material
that uses the current 'long time stable' timezone identifiers is going
to be changed since the identifiers where correct when that material was
created. Indeed changing the archived material could well introduce
other historically inaccurate problems, so the existing id's need to
remain purely for historic reasons. This then requires the addition of
'new' id's for the same entries which results in a lot of duplication if
every request for spelling changes and more often name changes is to be
handled. It has been decided that it is tidier to retain the original
id's since as has been reiterated by others these are not intended to be
displayed, and a number of other services provide both translations and
links to all the other unsupported location names. Programs resorting to
using only the list of TZ identifiers are where the fault is and these
should be taken to task for not providing a more user friendly interface
in the language of the end user?

There is no plan to change this since it is essential to maintain
compatibility with historic material.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL