[tz] KyivNotKiev

Guy Harris gharris at sonic.net
Sat Nov 28 08:20:52 UTC 2020

On Nov 27, 2020, at 11:45 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

>> The major problem is that lazy programmers simply list the tz id's as if
>> they are all that is available. Adding extra id's will just result in  both
>> being listed and then one gets even more complaints?
>
> Would it help if there was a translation file readily available?  I'm
> picturing one for each language or country or whatever.
>
> The idea is to distribute them with the tz data so that individual programmers
> that want to do the right thing and use appropriate names rather than file
> names in their UI don't have the excuse that the data isn't available.

That translation file's going to be big, as it should translate, for example, "San Jose, California" to America/Los_Angeles, and "北京" to Asia/Shanghai, and probably any of "Kyiv", "Kiev", "Київ", and "Киев" to "Europe/Kiev" or, when the switch is done, "Europe/Kyiv", and....

I.e., it's *not* a table of translations of the city names used as tzdb IDs, because forcing a user to choose one of those cities, rather than being able to specify *their* city, is not "the right thing".