[tz] Time zones in conflict areas

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Sat Nov 28 19:08:37 UTC 2020

Andriy Ivanchenko said:
> > We work on the basis of the time actually observed by the people who live
> > in the place. In the case of the Crimea, that's Moscow time whether we
> > like it or not.
> What is wrong if you do not indicate a change to switch to the time zone
> from occupation government?

When somebody tries to convert records from the locality to other time
zones, they'll get the wrong answer.

What time do people in the Crimea *actually* use? I don't care why they use
it or who told them that was the time. We care what they actually use.

If I recall correctly, there is a part of China where - although official
time is UTC+8, many local people use UTC+6. We offer both times in the
database (Asia/Shanghai and Asia/Urumqi) because both are actually used.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.