[tz] KyivNotKiev

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Sun Nov 29 01:11:50 UTC 2020

On 2020-11-29 02:38:54 (+0800), Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 11/27/20 9:54 AM, Matt Johnson-Pint wrote:
>> how hard is it to add a link? ...  We wouldn't even have to make the
>> Kyiv spelling primary.
>
> This sounds like a good suggestion. We could add a link line as in the
> patch below. This would be a test of the new feature of *forward*
> compatibility, not *backward* compatibility, but it's pretty much the
> same thing as far as the implementation goes so I'm not sure it's
> worth the hassle of creating a new 'forward' file. Now that FreeBSD
> uses 'backward' along with everybody else, putting this line in
> 'backward' means it should be supported by everybody who cares about
> alternate names.
>
> I had already been meaning to move some other links to 'backward' for
> similar reasons, but I figure we might as well do the tougher case
> first.
>
> I have not committed this patch, as the area is controversial.

If we're going to make a change ... we might as well do it in one go.
Just do the rename and put the old name in backward.  It seems obvious
that that's the way the data will look in the future anyway.

I can't see any technical benefits of trying out forward compatibility
where backward compatibility already covers the expected problems.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps
Senior Reality Engineer