[tz] KyivNotKiev

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Fri Nov 27 16:06:08 UTC 2020

John Hawkinson wrote in
 <20201127134218.GP62548 at alum.mit.edu>:
 |I think this becomes a very difficult question to analyze, because \
 |the differentiating {a conflict between two sides in a civil war} from \
 |{a decades-long conflict between two adjacent nations of unequal size \
 |and resources where one has a history of expansionism} may be more \
 |challenging than expected.

This region of the world has seen quite some of the latter in the
last say two hundred years, .. but please do not respond to this,
it is unnecessary, as i do not really wonder whether you could
agree with that.

 |Jacob Pratt <jacob at jhpratt.dev> wrote on Fri, 27 Nov 2020
 |at 04:43:28 EST in <CAHbUps4dhgAMB918ggzLaRTxEw5=2TS2kiOmscme7nP38dvtoQ@\
 |mail.gmail.com>:
 |
 |> As has been stated by others, the listing should not be taken as \
 |> something
 |> to be displayed. The use of Kiev over Kyiv is well established in the tz
 |> database. The fact that programmers do not use the CLDR as intended \
 |> is not
 |> the fault of the maintainers of the tz database.
 |
 |The last is...not a fair claim. The tz database came long before CLDR \

The maintainer of TZ has spoken on this topic quite often, even
after political pressure of distinguished courtesy, and he
referred to the used methodology, the approach taken for realised
renames in the past, in one of the many messages you did not
quote.  According to this (if i recall correctly) a rename is to
be expected, but it will take some time.  The problem is of course
that the name is a subject of war, and fighters are focused on
this war and are willing "to tear down the tent" to get their will
at any cost.  A good educator will likely wait until things have
calmed down before an action is taken in this situation, wouldn't
you agree with that?

--steffen