[tz] make rearguard_tarballs fails on macOS

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sun Oct 18 21:37:57 UTC 2020

On 10/18/20 2:10 PM, Robert Elz wrote:
> Generating the format with the greatest precision available
> means we're less likely to lose

A better way to do it is to generate an internal format that tells you how much
precision is in the timestamp. That way, the output of the date-parsing function
gives you all the useful information of the input.

Since text timestamps almost invariably use base 10 for subsecond information,
the output of the timestamp parser should do likewise, and should say how many
digits were in the input.

At least, that's how I'd do it if I were extending a timestamp parser.