[tz] Palestine to end summer time on Oct 24th

Tue Oct 20 16:05:56 UTC 2020

On 2020-10-20 08:55, Tim Parenti wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 at 10:02, Steffen Thorsen wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 at 04:00, Sharef Mustafa wrote:
>>> As per the palestinian cabinet announcement yesterday , the day light saving
>>> shall start on Oct 24th 2020 at 01:00AM by delaying the clock by 60 minutes.
>>> http://www.palestinecabinet.gov.ps/portal/Meeting/Details/51584

>> Some sources such as these say, and display on clocks, that DST ended at
>> midnight last year, so then this rule will unfortunately not work for 2019.
>> If these are correct about the time of the change.
>> https://www.amad.ps/ar/post/320006

> Thanks, I've installed the attached patch to the development repository,
> which will address this change.  Since this is just over 72 hours away, we'll
> need yet another release soon.
> In https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2019-October/028533.html, when Sharef
> informed us of the October 2019 change, they brought up this discrepancy and
> said at the time "it's safe to assume 01:00 as the time to return clock by
> 60 minutes", which we did. Comparing how this year's decision was written,
> though, perhaps that was not the case. The attached patch also adjusts the
> timing of the 2019 change to 00:00 instead of 01:00 and fixes a since-broken
> link.
I think we should be very wary of accepting any commentary in one online news
article as definitive, especially automated translation of other languages and
especially scripts, without a native interpretation of the content and
confirmation of multiple sources, as we prefer official or require "boots on the
ground" notice of changes.

Most people in many jusrisdictions, including journalists banging out online
copy, will be unaware at what time changes are scheduled, and may express
themselves colloquially using the local patois, and in Palestine, as 01.00
becomes 00.00, the time goes back to midnight, a minor distinction to some.