[tz] timezone DB distribution

Michael Douglass mikeadouglass at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 03:06:20 UTC 2020

On 9/7/20 19:43, Tim Parenti wrote:
> A reasonable criterion for inclusion should probably be whether the
> service makes the protocol accessible for arbitrary consumption,
> whether openly or by authenticated subscription.
>
> The phrase "supports TZDIST" can of course mean several
> different things, but while there are benefits to using the protocol
> internally to a product, I don't think this fulfills the expectation
> that it would tend to evoke here.  From the perspective of someone
> reading tz-link.html, it's much more important to answer "where are
> some public tzdist servers I can point my project to?" rather than
> "what's something that happens to speak tzdist to its own clients?"
> (The latter, frankly, is of little relevance to consumers of the tz
> project data.)

We implemented (and use) those servers to provide a starting point.
Having a service requires some infrastructure maintained by some body or
consortium. I believe Ken's server fully supports tzdist (and beyond).
Mine may be a little out of date but supports pretty much the latest.

However, neither of us can provide the infrastructure - that's for
somebody such as IANA