[tz] looking for information about changing time zone

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Thu Sep 10 10:49:34 UTC 2020

    Date:        Thu, 10 Sep 2020 11:32:53 +0200
    From:        Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat.com>

  | Note that the notice period of one year is from the time the rule change
  | becomes official to when the difference becomes observable in practice
  | (in other words, when the rule change becomes effective).

I replied to the original message and said this there, but that message
(the original) had a Reply-To header, which caused my reply to go only to
its author, so missed the list.   I said this there, but I think it bears
repeating for the list.

Another thing people often miss, is that a decision not to go ahead with
a change needs just as much lead time as a decision to make a change.
Carefully giving lots of notice about a planned change, and then soon
before it was due to occur, deciding (for any reason) to cancel it is
just as bad as deciding to change the clocks tomorrow...

Don't decide to fiddle with the time unless you're absolutely committed
to doing that.

kre