[tz] JavaScript IANA date/time library, now with support for leap seconds, TAI, TDT

John Sauter John_Sauter at systemeyescomputerstore.com
Mon Apr 26 20:19:33 UTC 2021

On Mon, 2021-04-26 at 13:05 -0700, Steve Allen via tz wrote:

> On Mon 2021-04-26T12:42:19-0400 John Sauter via tz hath writ:
> > In looking at historical estimates of the rotation of the Earth
> > based
> > on astronomical observations of occulations and eclipses, I found
> > that
> > the values of UT1 are reliabe only since 1825.  (Nevertheless, my
> > table
> > of proleptic leap seconds goes back to the year -2000.)
>
> Morrison, L. V.; Stephenson, F. R.; Hohenkerk, C. Y.; Zawilski, M.
> DOI: 10.1098/rspa.2020.0776
> Bibliographic Code:  2021RSPSA.47700776M
> Proceedings of the Royal Society A, Volume 477, Issue 2246,
> id.20200776
> all tabulated at
> http://astro.ukho.gov.uk/nao/lvm/
>
> That is the place to look, and it will continue to be so for
> the lifetime of the authors.

That is indeed the source that I used.  The February 2021 update caused
all of my projected leap seconds before 1825 to change, hence my
caution about the reliability of astronomical observations before that
date.

I do not know personally the authors of that article, but based on
their publishing history I will guess that the first two are of an
advanced age.  The February 2021 update was provided by C. Y.
Hohenkerk, so perhaps the senior authors are passing the task on to the
next generation.
    John Sauter (John_Sauter at systemeyescomputerstore.com)
--
get my PGP public key with gpg --locate-external-keys
John_Sauter at systemeyescomputerstore.com