[tz] Request for change to the tz database

Guy Harris gharris at sonic.net
Mon Feb 8 22:28:24 UTC 2021

On Feb 8, 2021, at 2:09 PM, Scott Atwood <scott.roy.atwood at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don’t mean to belabor what is clearly a well trod and sore point, but why is the endonym for the most populous city in Ukraine any different than the endonym for the most populous city in West Bengal, or other cities whose endonym has changed its Latin transliteration or changed entirely?

None; the issue is that the city names are *English-language* city names, and should reflect the most common English-language transliteration of non-English-language names.  Over time, "Kyiv" is apparently becoming more common as a transliteration than "Kiev", so the change probably will be made at some point.  (I, to my great delight, have no role in the decision to make that change. :-))

> Perhaps I missed the previous discussion, but can’t we simply change the name of the zone in question to Europe/Kyiv and add Europe/Kiev as a synonym in tz/backward?

That's exactly the proposal from Paul Eggert mentioned in the message to which you're replying.  That proposal is at

	https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2020-November/029542.html

It involves making a "forward" link from Europe/Kyiv to Europe/Kiev, with the two being switched eventually, so that Europe/Kiev is a "backward" link to Europe/Kyiv.