[tz] Request for change to the tz database

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Tue Feb 9 01:31:45 UTC 2021

"Philip Paeps" <philip at trouble.is> writes:

> It's pretty clear that there's a campaign on.  My gut reaction to people
> ganging up and screaming loudly is also to be more stubborn.  However,
> this windmill has been tilting for much longer than the campaign has
> been on.  At this stage, tilting back really isn't constructive.

My personal vote (which counts for basically nothing, to be clear) is that
we should go ahead and rename the zone because it clearly matters a lot to
other people and I don't think it matters that much to the project (in the
sense that I don't think the change is difficult or adds much additional
work).

I understand the concern about not wanting to constantly change
identifiers if this becomes a trend, but (a) we've already made it hard
enough to be daunting, and (b) we're safely behind major news media style
guides and I think that's enough of a guard rail on the slippery slope.

I also have that gut reaction of digging in my heels when I feel like
people are brigading, but I think here it's people who don't feel like
they have any power other than numbers and writing (in general quite
polite) email messages.  It's not clear what else they can do to persuade
us to change the name, and compared to most campaigns on the modern
Internet they're being fairly restrained and polite about it.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)             <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>