[tz] Request for change to the tz database

Stephen Goudge timezones at clodane.uk
Tue Feb 9 12:48:00 UTC 2021

In article <45ed9ac6-bb6b-5037-0fa6-ed8984aeb27d at relativedata.com>,
dpatte at relativedata.com (David Patte) wrote:

> *From:* David Patte <dpatte at relativedata.com>
> *To:* tz at iana.org
> *Date:* Mon, 8 Feb 2021 20:37:09 -0500
>

> As English language influence wanes, the best option is always to
> localize names, otherwise everyone in 20 years will be forced to
> use identifiers in Mandarin.

As has been pointed out many times, localisation of names is best done - can
only be _properly_ done, including use of the correct alphabet, accents etc -
by the UI making use of the CLDR or some other layer that is completely
separate from the TZDB. Allowing the TZDB internal identifiers to simply exist
as - internal identifiers.

Personally, I believe that there has been plenty of time for devourers of the
TZDB to get their act together and either use localisation or make an honest
declaration to their users that they simply aren't going to bother.

With that in mind, it is so very tempting to start a campaign, nagging for
TZDB to take serious steps towards making it blindingly obvious that these are
just identifiers.

And start by changing "Kiev" to just "K__v".

Stephen Goudge