[tz] State of Palestine Time zone - need to update

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Fri Feb 12 16:47:31 UTC 2021

    Date:        Fri, 12 Feb 2021 10:33:11 -0500
    From:        Fred Gleason <fredg at paravelsystems.com>

  | If the first is true, then they should *never* change. Ever. For any
  | reason.

I think, possibly aside from some very early changes (long long ago) that
has always been true.   Aside from any pedagogical reason, it is required
to maintain backwards compatibility.

  | *Additional* ids can of course be introduced,

That's all we ever do - both when a zone splits (what was one zone
becomes two or more, because the rules which used to apply throughout
the area covered by the zone will no longer be consistent), and second
because for one reason or another there's to be a change of name.  The
"change" is always just the addition of a new ID, the old one remains.

While we ignore the political nonsense most of the time, as the IDs
are (kind of) arbitrary, they're also used to simplify maintenance.
When someone tells us the the clocks in some part of the world are
to alter on some specific (hopefully reasonably far future) date,
it is much easier to be sure that the correct zone is being altered
if it has a name that corresponds.   If it weren't for that we
might as well call the zones tzz1 tzz2 tzz3 ...

kre