[tz] macOS implements Links with file copies?

Guy Harris gharris at sonic.net
Fri Feb 12 20:58:25 UTC 2021

On Feb 12, 2021, at 12:49 PM, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> On filesystems that support neither hard links nor symlinks,

A category into which neither HFS+ nor APFS falls; they both support both hard links and symlinks.  (I think HFS+'s implementation of hard links is *internally* a bit unusual, but they have the full semantics of POSIX hard links.)

The same applies, as far as I know, to all the main Linux local file systems.

So I don't know why Ubuntu (and possibly Debian) use symlinks, or why macOS is using copies, unless they're both trying to support VFAT or something such as that.