[tz] South Sudan to change time zone?

Chris Hill Chris.Hill at mafint.org
Fri Jan 22 12:34:56 UTC 2021

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 at 19:04, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> > This article says the change will take place at "midnight, February 1":
> >
> > http://southsudan24news.com/south-sudan-change-its-time-zone-in-february-1-2021/
>
> The version I now see says, "The change will occur at 00:00 (midnight)
> on February 1, when clocks will be set back 1 hour to 23:00 (11:00 pm)."
> This is a bit confusing, because if the change is indeed at 00:00 on
> February 1, the quoted text should have ended in "23:00 (11:00 pm) the
> previous day" to avoid confusion.
>
> Perhaps the official announcement (if one is made and someone can
>  .provide it) will be less confusing.

The official announcement (accessible without a Facebook account at https://www.facebook.com/www.motps.goss.org/videos/3770463003014509/ concurs with this:

08:23 'So, from the 1st of February, we are going back to our actual Greenwich Mean Time. We are going back to our local zone, of 2 hours' difference between Greenwich Mean Time, which is the zero hour, and our local time which will be 2 hours, which will be Greenwich Mean Time plus 2 hours'

09:43 'On the 31st, and the morning starts, that morning will not start at 12, but when it is 12 midnight of the 31st of January, it will be 11 o'clock. And you continue like that... Our 12 midnight of the 31st January will repeat itself; it will be 11, and then you go again for 12 midnight. That is when it becomes according to our time now.'

We're based in South Sudan so was keen to get this right. Hope it helps.

Kind regards,
--

Chris Hill
IT Officer

Mission Aviation Fellowship International.  A company Limited by guarantee, registered in England & Wales
Registered Charity Number: 1058226.  Registered Company Number: 3144199.
Registered Office: Operations Centre, Henwood, Ashford, Kent TN24 8DH
  https://www.mafint.org/

"NOTICE: Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the individual and not necessarily the company. This email (and any attachment) is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, forward, copy, print or retain this email. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender before deleting it from your computer system. Email transmissions may not be completely secure, may be intercepted or corrupted and may arrive late or not at all. The sender accepts no liability for viruses and we recommend that you scan all emails for viruses before opening them. For more information please contact dataprotection at mafint.org<mailto:dataprotection at mafint.org>. To view our Privacy Notice click Here<https://www.mafint.org/privacy-notice.html>. To view our Terms and Conditions click Here<https://www.mafint.org/terms-and-conditions.html>."