[tz] CCTF survey on Time and Frequency Metrology - Telecom

Wed Jan 27 21:56:44 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-27 12:58, Fred Gleason wrote:
> On Jan 26, 2021, at 19:03, Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis at SystematicSw.ab.ca
> <mailto:Brian.Inglis at SystematicSw.ab.ca>> wrote:
>
>> Digital processing mainly compression/decompression delays in the common
>> modern broadcast chain results in time announcements, transitions of minutes,
>> audio "pips", clock tower chimes or bells, varying by eyeball and wristwatch
>> measurable amounts from accurate time sources.
>> Some articles talk about timing broadcast sources to determine which earlier
>> "pip" signals the correct time.
>> Apparently coordinating multiple regional sources in e.g. commentaries,
>> discussions, or now virtual talk shows, requires time code calibration and
>> compensation, so that discussions can appear natural; more so than many remote
>> news reports which can show very pronounced delays, probably due to cellular
>> mobile or wifi sources and internet routes.
>> Satellite links add only up to 250ms each round trip.
>> Many articles lack date stamps so it is difficult to know even if the BBC
>> still transmits legacy analogue AM or FM with accurate "pips" or if stations
>> are mainly DAB in the EU and UK.
>
> It’s not just in the EU or UK. Digital modulation methods in common use on
> broadcast air chains in the US (both audio and video) can easily add up to
> several *seconds* of latency per hop. This can be the case even when the final
> delivery link to the receiver is ‘analog’ —e.g. amplitude modulation (‘AM’) via
> medium wave. Effectively, all audience-facing time marks on such broadcasts
> should be treated as being precise only to the nearest minute.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_Time_Signal#Similar_time_signals_elsewhere

I'm unaware of broadcast network time signals and their accuracy in NA other
than CA CBC Radio One at 13:00 ET, and NR have disclaimers about those and
telephone time and talking clocks possibly having one or two ~0.25s satellite
hops added, which makes them useless:

https://nrc.canada.ca/en/certifications-evaluations-standards/canadas-official-time/cbc-radio-daily-time-broadcast

https://nrc.canada.ca/en/certifications-evaluations-standards/canadas-official-time/telephone-talking-clock

The telephone and broadcast time data require obsolete Bell 103 modem decoders
and suffer from unknown telco or shortwave propagation or ionospheric delays and
conditions:

https://nrc.canada.ca/en/certifications-evaluations-standards/canadas-official-time/computer-time-date#dtime

https://nrc.canada.ca/en/certifications-evaluations-standards/canadas-official-time/nrc-shortwave-station-broadcasts-chu