[tz] [PROPOSED] Merge timezones that are alike since 1970

Paul Ganssle paul at ganssle.io
Tue Jun 1 18:42:31 UTC 2021

I'm not entirely clear on the current status of the proposal. If most
people are getting all the data from `backzone` anyway and the data is
still being maintained in the repository, does this really alleviate the
maintenance burden? Is the idea that the tzdb project will stop
accepting patches to `backzone`, and thus these are frozen in amber?

I suspect that if this is invisible to the end user, it will not keep
people from reporting bugs or complaining about what they feel the key
structure should be, and if anything it will increase bugs, because if
they use a system that doesn't link in backzone, they'll be very
confused about why previously valid keys are no longer valid.

I'll note that I'm not against the proposal and I certainly don't think
that it should be stopped because it would merge zones across country
boundaries — I don't think there needs to be a notion of countries in
the tzdb any more than there needs to be a notion of specific cities, I
just want to know what we're supposed to be getting for the change.

Personally, I agree with ado about maintaining the old funky pre-1970
zones (or at least keeping them present in the database as-is,
indefinitely) for the purposes of stress-testing the capabilities of the
tzdb. I make fairly extensive use of pre-1970 zones in my various TZif
parsing libraries (e.g. Python's dateutil and zoneinfo) because that's
where you get weird stuff like double daylight saving time, large swings
in offset and fractional-minute offsets.

At the end of the day, I think the main problem that this is addressing
is that Paul wants to have some consistency in the rules so that he can
point to the rule and say, "Here's the rule we're using, please tell us
if there's a violation of /this rule/, otherwise we don't want to
engage." But the problem is that we already have this for the most
contentious stuff and it's not really enforced. The conversation instead
goes, "Here's the rule we're using" and the follow up is, "That's a
stupid rule, you should change it." then a bunch of people pile on in
both sides and no time is saved. If that's going to happen anyway and
every time anyone shows up and complains about the rules a dozen people
are going to pile on saying, "We should change the zone names to
non-human-readable alphanumeric keys" or "We should make one zone per
country" /and it's not a violation of the rules of the list to do this/,
I don't see the value in trying to break backwards compatibility in even
small ways to be more consistent about these rules.

Best,
Paul