[tz] [PROPOSED] Merge timezones that are alike since 1970

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Jun 2 22:06:36 UTC 2021

On 6/2/21 1:34 PM, Michael H Deckers via tz wrote:

>      What I find surprising is that the days of the week
>      as given by Brian are incorrect: the Gregorian dates
>          -2147 481 748-01-01
>          +2147 485 548-01-01
>      are both Thursdays.

The incorrect output in Brian's email was likely due to a longstanding
signed integer overflow bug in tzcode, which I fixed on March 23:

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2021-March/029968.html
https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/b73daeca66d395f6815466767139ae8b02cafde3

Because of the bug, tzcode 'date -r' gave the wrong output for extreme
dates, such as the dates Brian used.

This fix should appear in the next tzdb release. Perhaps it's time for a
new release, as that bug has bothered me too.