[tz] Breach of tzdb charter: Merging timezones is not within the charter

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Jun 3 02:53:08 UTC 2021

On 6/2/21 7:16 PM, Tom Lane via tz wrote:
> I just experimented and confirmed that including backzone isn't nearly
> sufficient to bring the output data back to what it was previously.

It is sufficient, in the sense that if you included backzone before and
still include it now, there are no changes to any timestamps (either
pre- or post-1970). I've tested this.

If you want only some of backzone but not all of it, we could add
support for that (as I mentioned earlier). With that support, you could
say "I want backzone to supply Europe/Stockholm", or "I want the zones
that changed in 2021b to come from backzone". This should handle the use
case you described.