[tz] Breach of tzdb charter: Merging timezones is not within the charter
gharris at sonic.net
Fri Jun 4 18:53:03 UTC 2021
On Jun 4, 2021, at 5:51 AM, Emily Crandall Fleischman via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:
> That's not true: Canada and the US had different DST rules until 1976,
> so their zones should remain distinct.
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 at 22:07, David Patte via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:
>> if all the backfiles do correctly link to the proposed main coalesced tz
>> zones at their appropriate date/time, then that would work as well, but
>> i would then work by accessing via the backfiles first.
>> btw, for interest, the new main coalesced zone for New_York would
>> include an area reaching from nearly Manitoba to the Atlantic, and
>> include Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa and Quebec City , or about 1/2 of
>> Canada's population.
Yes, they should remain distinct, and they do remain distinct.
Here's Paul's comment for the change:
Merge timezones that are alike since 1970
* NEWS: Describe the change and its motivation.
* Makefile (TZS_DEPS, check_tables): Depend on YDATA, not just
PRIMARY_YDATA, since etcetera matters here.
* africa (Africa/Abidjan, Ghana, Africa/Accra, Indian/Reunion)
* antarctica (Indian/Kerguelen, Antarctica/DumontDUrville)
* asia (Asia/Brunei, Asia/Urumqi, NBorneo, Asia/Kuala_Lumpur)
(Asia/Kuching, Indian/Maldives, Asia/Riyadh, Asia/Bangkok)
* australasia (Indian/Christmas, Indian/Cocos, Pacific/Gambier)
(Pacific/Tahiti, Pacific/Tarawa, Pacific/Majuro, Pacific/Chuuk)
(Pacific/Pohnpei, Pacific/Palau, Pacific/Port_Moresby)
(Pacific/Guadalcanal, Pacific/Funafuti, Pacific/Wake)
* europe (Denmark, Europe/Copenhagen, Iceland, Atlantic/Reykjavik)
(Lux, Europe/Luxembourg, Europe/Monaco, Neth, Europe/Amsterdam)
(Norway, Europe/Oslo, Europe/Stockholm):
* northamerica (America/Blanc-Sablon, America/Atikokan)
(America/Creston, Bahamas, America/Nassau):
* southamerica (America/La_Paz, America/Curacao, America/Cayenne)
Move these duplicate Zone entries to 'backzone', and add
backward-compatibility links in 'backward'.
* checktab.awk: Don’t worry about links to Etc/*.
* theory.html: Change examples to avoid merged-away zones. Remove
references to SET, and to Amsterdam, Bangkok, Copenhagen and Port
Moresby Mean Times.
* zone.tab, zone1970.tab: Change 3rd column to avoid links in
'backward', which might not be present.
* zone1970.tab: Merge lines to match the above changes.
Note that America/Toronto is *not* one of the tzdb regions that disappears, so no, the new main coalesced zone for New_York does *not* include, for example, Toronto.
More information about the tz