[tz] What data should TZDB offer?

David Patte dpatte at relativedata.com
Sun Jun 6 19:05:44 UTC 2021

I would agree to both of these.

I also think it would be preferable to restore (with corrections if
necessary) all the distinct zones per ISO country that have varied since
1970. Russia and Canada have numerous timezones, just as the USA has,
and it would simplify access, as well as providing more historical data
per country.

Overall my preference is to make historical data available for as many
cities as possible / per country, in one place; or for at least all
zones per country that have differed since 1970. If they link is to
generic 'noname' zones which crosses political boundaries, then I could
also be happy with that, as long as no historical data is lost.

In the long run, app developers will also want historical data for
separate zones that merged before 1970, and they could exist in a
secondary table, managed by tz, or even managed by someone else as a
separate project.