[tz] Undoing the effect of the new alike-since-1970 patch

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Jun 10 17:37:15 UTC 2021

On 6/9/21 2:41 PM, Stephen Colebourne via tz wrote:

> It would be clearer to place an explicit statement in the charter or
> theory file.

Sure, we could make this statement a guideline in the theory file
(that's where the guidelines are) instead of just a NEWS entry. Would
that do?

> Country-based politics can be avoided by outsourcing the decision to
> ISO-3166.

That would help, but it would not be nearly enough. Country codes are
not our biggest political issue, as witness our long discussions over
how to spell certain entries, which city should be used in an area, when
exactly some foreign power controlled some location, etc. The more
unnecessary Zones we have, the more of these unnecessary discussions
we'll have, particularly as the unnecessary Zones will be present purely
for political reasons. (And ISO 3166 does have a country code for
Kosovo, so even the country-code issue can and plausibly will be disputed.)

Besides, we're better off the less we couple to the UN or to the ISO or
whatever.

> Once the premise is accepted that the backzone data is
> a meaningful part of the project

Nobody is saying backzone is meaningless. However, it doesn't logically
follow that because backzone has meaning to some, it must be used by
all; or even that backzone should be maintained to the same standard as
the mainline data (which it's not).

Being lower-priority isn't the same as being frozen: as I wrote last
week <https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2021-June/030181.html> we can
take good patches for 'backzone'. Goodness knows it needs them; it has
too many errors and inconsistencies and unfairnesses.

That being said, I urge potential contributors to focus on the mainline
data instead, as we have trouble enough with there and our collective
but limited resources are best focused there.