[tz] Fwd: FORMAT Missing in Africa/Windhoek & America/Belize

Jon Skeet skeet at pobox.com
Mon Jun 28 09:26:25 UTC 2021

On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 at 10:17, vaibhav shrivastava via tz <tz at iana.org>
wrote:

> Daylight Saving Time (DST) Not Observed in Year 2021
> Windhoek currently observes Central Africa Time (CAT)
>  all year.
> DST is no longer in use.
> Clocks do not change in Windhoek, Namibia.
> The previous DST change in Windhoek was on 24 October 2017

Do you have documentation for the final change being on October 24th? The
database has the change occurring on September 3rd 2017. If there's
appropriate documentation showing that it actually changed on October 24th,
it would be good to update the database accordingly.

But other than the precise date, what you've described is what the rules
show as well. The 2017 part of the rules that Arthur Olsen included before
means that those rules terminate in 2017.
>From the final change in September 2017, Africa/Windhoek is on UTC+2, with
abbreviation CAT.

See https://nodatime.org/tzvalidate/generate?zone=Africa/Windhoek as an
example of the transitions, noting that the final line is:

2017-09-03 01:00:00Z +02:00:00 standard CAT

> Why WAT is mentioned?

Because the time zone database covers the past as well as the future, and
Africa/Windhoek *used* to alternate between CAT and WAT.

> Why it is different from other rule and format?

Which specific other rule and format? It's not clear to me what you mean,
but I don't believe there's any problem here.

Jon