[tz] [PROPOSED] Avoid backward links in zone.tab

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon May 10 08:38:40 UTC 2021

On 5/9/21 6:30 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:

> By the way, that "VI +1821-06456 America/Port_of_Spain" is not right; that line should refer to America/Puerto_Rico instead. Port-of-Spain and San Juan, Puerto Rico have agreed since 1970 and the latter is bigger, so America/Port_of_Spain should also be moved to 'backzone'. There are several other examples like that, and we could shrink the installed set of TZif files significantly if this sort of thing were fixed.

Attached is a proposed patch to do that. The idea is to move Zones into
'backward' if they're identical to some other Zone after 1970. In other
words, this patch doesn't affect timestamps after 1970. In that sense,
this patch builds on similar patches in 2014 and 2015 that moved
out-of-scope Zones like Africa/Kinshasa to 'backzone', with
backward-compatibility links in 'backward'.

Although I've tested this patch, I'd like to do more tests before
installing it into the development tzdb repository on GitHub. Also, the
patch needs a proper NEWS entry and commit message before installing.
Comments are welcome in the meantime.