[tz] [PROPOSED] Avoid backward links in zone.tab

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue May 11 00:17:24 UTC 2021

On 5/10/21 11:04 AM, Paul Eggert wrote:
> theory.html says that tzdb records civil time by "partitioning the world
> into timezones whose clocks all agree about timestamps that occur after
> the POSIX Epoch". Although it's true that the existence of such a
> partition doesn't logically require that each Zone history be distinct
> after the Epoch, that is the intent nowadays. I suppose this should be
> stated more clearly

On further thought, this point should be covered adequately later in
theory.html, where it says "If all the clocks in a timezone have agreed
since 1970, do not bother to include more than one timezone even if some
of the clocks disagreed before 1970."

However, I did notice that the wording said all tzdb timezone names are
location-based, which isn't true for timezones like Etc/GMT-10. I
installed the attached to try to fix this.