[tz] So, about those LMT offsets

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sat May 22 21:51:39 UTC 2021

On 5/22/21 2:41 PM, Tom Lane via tz wrote:
> why are the changes Paul is proposing okay?

The goal is to simplify long-term maintenance in exchange for trivial
short-term pain. Over the years I've spent far too much time maintaining
irrelevant info and getting bogged down with the resulting politics. Had
this change been installed a while ago, for example, we would have saved
significant time by not worrying about timekeeping in Vietnam before
1970. No doubt there will be similar issues in the future, and the less
irrelevant data we have now, the better off we'll be in the future.