[tz] [PROPOSED] Merge timezones that are alike since 1970

Magnus Fromreide magfr at lysator.liu.se
Fri May 28 17:10:47 UTC 2021

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 11:50:39AM +0100, Clive D.W. Feather via tz wrote:
> Stephen Colebourne via tz said:
> > As can be seen in the link, many places (eg Anguilla, Antigua and
> > Aruba) are now sharing time-zone history, and that history is **from
> > some other zone**. That seems completely unacceptable.
> >
> > While I understand the motivation to remove the burden of pre-1970,
> > that cannot come at the cost of giving a place the history of
> > somewhere completely different.
>
> But that's been the case ever since we stopped creating new zones when we
> discovered a bit of pre-1970 history. All that's happened is that this is
> now being done across countries rather than only within a country.

I think Stephen says that no place should have any pre-1970 history if
this change is passed.

The remaining superzones should also be stripped of any historical data
since it would be incorrect for a whole lot more places in the zone than
it is now.

What will happen with all that data? It is quite interesting to read the
tzdb sources as of now because of all the extra history.

/MF