[tz] [PROPOSED] Merge timezones that are alike since 1970

Derick Rethans tz at derickrethans.nl
Sat May 29 23:45:45 UTC 2021

On 30 May 2021 00:29:28 BST, Paul Eggert via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:
>On 5/29/21 1:09 PM, John Hawkinson wrote:
>> There is a big difference between (1) "MERGING zones across modern
>countries" and (2) allowing to persist "zones [that] have crossed
>national boundaries for decades."
>
>It's a big difference only to those closely following the history of
>tzdb. It's not a big difference to users.

Referencing https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6557

Dear Paul, you've had a lot of push back to this change, as per the "Procedures for Maintaining the Time Zone Database" the TZ Coordinator "SHOULD take into account views expressed on the mailing list."

I would very much appreciate it if you'd at least listen to the feedback you've gotten on this change, and I'd argue that from what I've read, that this list is not OK with this proposed change.

cheers,
Derick