[tz] Ref: Tz on social media

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Nov 4 01:24:03 UTC 2021

On 11/2/21 05:48, nadir altinbas via tz wrote:
> is it possible to add 'news' from TZ Coordiation web site share button to social media such as;
> Linkedin,FaceBook(meta),Instagram,Twitteretc....
> There may be occur an anouncment  to publicize for sharing via social media?

Although something like that is possible, unfortunately it would likely
let these other websites track our users in undesirable ways. For
example, for Facebook although we could modify our main web page
<https://www.iana.org/time-zones> to contain something like the
following ...

<script async defer crossorigin="anonymous"
src="https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v12.0"
nonce="23id6Sic"></script>
data-layout="button_count" data-size="small"><a target="_blank"
href="https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.iana.org%2Ftime-zones&src=sdkpreparse"
class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Share</a></div>

... this HTML would help Facebook track our visitors, even visitors who
don't use Facebook.