[tz] Pre-1970 data

Garrett Wollman wollman at csail.mit.edu
Fri Nov 5 20:31:55 UTC 2021

On November 5, 2021 3:47:03 PM EDT, Guy Harris via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:
>On Nov 5, 2021, at 12:01 PM, Brian Park via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:
>
>> The practical reality is that the TZDB identifiers are externally visible identifiers to end-users. The Unix system forces the TZDB identifiers on to the user when I have to type this:
>> $ TZ=America/Toronto date
>
>1) The practical reality is that the TXDB identifiers are externally visible identifiers to *those end users who switch time zones on the command line*.  This is a subset of the set of end users.

If only that were so. I took note of the following post from ISO New England, the electric grid operator for most of New England, reminding energy market participants using one of their applications (NEXTT) that times are displayed in "America/New_York" time:
<https://isonewswire.com/2021/11/01/daylight-saving-time-ends-sunday-fall-back-to-eastern-standard-time/>

-GAWollman