[tz] Pre-1970 data

Guy Harris gharris at sonic.net
Fri Nov 5 22:11:22 UTC 2021

On Nov 5, 2021, at 2:53 PM, Brian Park via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> 4) So maybe the solution is to use 2-letter or 3-letter ISO codes, instead of the shortened, quasi-English versions of the country names. So we get things like "CA/Eastern" or "CAN/Eastern", instead of "Canada/Eastern". Not very satisfying for Canadians or many other countries (except for Americans whose ISO codes "US" and "USA" match their colloquial usage perfectly).
>
> All this before we even get to the work of mapping various ISO countries (and their subregions if needed) to their corresponding canonical TZDB identifiers.

And "subregions" means more than just "time zone names" - Arizone isn't in the same tzdb region as Utah, so "US/Mountain" isn't sufficient here.  I.e., even picking names for country/subregion combinations is going to involve some work and some decision-making.  (And, while "US/Arizona" might work, "US/Indiana" won't - look for "Indiana" in the northamerica file.  Then look at the whole Canada section - CA/{zone name} isn't going to suffice, either.)